Monday 9 July 2012

Kiwi-Express

Ok so I was eating a Kiwi at work and all of a sudden I thought about my first Kiwi experience! Just to be clear, when I talk about a kiwi I talk about the fruit and not the cute little hairy bird or the people from New Zealand....

I can't remember how old I was but I was little to say the least. It was at my grandparents in Maastricht. I always loved going there because my granddad would always open the door and tell us how much we had grown! But we all believed that our granddad was in fact shrinking, we never told him though ;) My grandma would aways spoil us with candy and cookies! And we ate as much as we could! My granddad also had this amazing collection of books and stamps! Most book were informational books about countries such as Africa and the history of Egypt, animals, and weird things such as the monster of Loch Ness and vampires! Me and my brothers would go through all these books and look at the pictures and wondered if all this was real and really existed? My grandma also had this amazing collection of jewelry (now that I think of it, I was young and easily impressed, you know that feeling that when you were young things had a different perspective? Everything seemed big and impressive...). I would go through all the necklaces and put them on, as many as I could wear! But back to the kiwi, there was this very large fruit platter. Filled with all kinds of fruit such as apples, banana's and pears. And on it was also this weir looking hairy brown thing. But it looked soft due to the little hairs, for some reason I thought it was some kind of apple (again I was young and didn't know too much back then) ... So I took the little apple like thing in my hand and took a bite.... big mistake!!! It was disgusting and wasn't soft at all!!! Also the hairs made my thong itchy.

Of course everybody laughed because apparently I first had to remove the skin or slice it in half and eat the green stuff out with a spoon... How was I to know?! Nobody told me..... Ah well, I didn't get traumatized because I still like kiwi's... without the skin of course!



1 comment: